Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What's Needed For DIY Woodworking Plans

Many years ago I found my love for DIY woodworking plans.  My dad helped me complete my first 4-H woodworking project.  We built a kitchen towel rack.  I received an award, and my dad hung it in my mother's kitchen.  My dad was well equipped for DIY woodworking plans; he had all the tools.  Even after a few years, I am still finding tools for my workshop.  To get started with woodworking at home, you will need a few basic tools, a woodworking space, along with a few general safety rules.

If you are like me when I began, you don't have a lot of big tools at your access for DIY woodworking plans. That's ok. You don't have to have all of the big stationary tools to begin with DIY woodworking plans. My suggestion is to wait until you find that woodworking is right for you before making major purchases. Beginning tools that I recommend are:

* A speed square, tape, and pencil for marking.
* A circular saw is great for straight cuts.  A guide jig can be built for cutting straight.
* Use a jigsaw for curves.
*  Use a block plane for shaping of the wood.  A router is also good for shaping wood, along with tongue and groove.
* A cordless drill is great for drilling holes.
* A block sander or small hand sander can be used for smoothing wood.  The local hardware store is a good place to get a good deal on a hand sander.
* I suggest investing in a good clamp set for DIY woodworking plans. You will need many different sizes. Clamps will securely hold your wood after you glue it.

You are also going to need a space for DIY woodworking plans.  While this does not have to be a large space, I do suggest an area such as the garage or basement, that is mostly undisturbed.  Use an area of the wall to hang your tools.  A sturdy workbench with a vice for holding things is necessity.  When you buy a vice, make sure it is for woodworking in order to avoid denting the wood.

When woodworking at home always remember, "safety first!" I used to think I didn't need to practice safety. After a few minor scrapes, I've learned better. A few safety precautions for DIY woodworking plans I recommend are:

* Safety goggles: I have learned the hard way more than once by getting sawdust in my eyes.
* Use ear protection when running tools, especially for extended periods.
* When sanding, use a face mask since there will be many fine particles in the air.
* If you have children, make sure you unplug the tools and store them properly. Most larger machines have safety switches. Get in the habit early of doing these things so no one else gets hurt!
* Be sure blades and bits aren't dull.  Kick back can occur when using a circular saw with a dull blade.
*  Safety devices on tools should not be tampered with.  When using your circular saw, do not tie off the guard; hold the guard as you cut.  By tying the guard, it could run off when you set the saw down, and cause potential harm.

So you see, DIY woodworking plans are not complex.  All you need is a few basic tools, a space and some imagination to begin creating woodworking projects to be proud of for many years.  For instant access to 14,000 woodworking plans, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment